When I first saw the headline “Teach Dance in New Zealand” pop up on my Facebook timeline, I was pretty skeptical that it would ever actually happen for me. I felt like it was too good to be true -- like there had to be a million reasons why it wouldn’t be the right fit.
In the 11 years that I’ve been training, performing, and teaching, I’ve been a part of 8 studios in 4 cities, and I’ve learned that I enjoy the environment of some dance schools much more than others. I knew that I could never move my entire life to New Zealand to teach at a studio that didn’t connect with my philosophy on dance education and performance.
I was absolutely blown away when I clicked into the BoPPA website for the first time. I was immediately drawn to the studio mission statement and values that were outlined -- in fact, they corresponded almost exactly to the teaching statement I had written over 3 years before.
In case you aren’t familiar, the BoPPA studio values are:
1. Making a difference in the life of every dancer that walks through our doors.
2. Providing enthusiastic teachers who assist our students to develop an enthusiasm for the performing arts.
3. Developing a confidence in our dancers that is transferable to all areas of life.
4. Teachers model and educate our students about professionalism.
5. As teachers, we model and teach our students about respect.
6. We foster a commitment and passion for learning.
7. We encourage our students to persevere through challenges.
Sitting there at my desk in Austin, Texas, I knew I had no choice but to apply to teach at BoPPA. Those values spoke to me profoundly, because I believe that those are seven key factors that will lead students to love dance, succeed in dance, and make meaningful memories throughout their dance training.
Sitting here in a cafe in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand, I’m feeling grateful that I didn’t let my doubts keep me from taking this amazing opportunity and proud to teach at a studio like BoPPA, where the values are so connected to my own.
Thank you all for being a part of this amazing adventure! --Miss Evelyn
Want to learn to dance in a place where you'll be truly valued and inspired? Contact us to enrol for the remainder of Term 4 and receive 30% off the tuition fee!